VOLUNTEER FUNDRAISING EVENTS
Thank you for your interest in volunteer fundraising to support Henry Vilas Zoo! Your fundraising effort will make you a Friend of the Zoo.
Each Friend of the Zoo has a special connection to Henry Vilas Zoo, whether through a lifetime of memories at the Zoo, an opportunity to see the Zoo through the eyes of a child, an experience with our Zoo Education Program, or a general interest in animal and habitat conservation. That special connection inspires you and other volunteers to take action. Throughout 2014, we're raising money to Bring the Bears Back to Madison!
We're hoping that all of our volunteer fundraisers will choose to have the funds that they raise go toward helping build the new Arctic Passage exhibit through this campaign. Pennies for Polar Bears:
Kids, you can help too! Consider making a "Pennies for Polar Bears" change bank using recycled materials and gathering money to help us build the Arctic Passage. See below for more details on how you can participate.
A volunteer fundraiser is an event conducted by volunteers and/or community partners to raise funds for Henry Vilas Zoo and Zoo to provide a best-in-class experience for our animals and our visitors, as well as inspiring a commitment to conservation.
Events should complement the mission of Henry Vilas Zoo and Friends of Henry Vilas Zoo and enhance the relationship of your zoo
with the communities we serve. Fundraisers can be as simple as a "Jeans Day" or bake sale or as grand as an auction or golf event.
If you or your group is interested in the possibility of planning a volunteer fundraising event, link to Fundraising Guidelines
to review important planning information and Fundraising Proposal
to submit your idea.
UPCOMING AND ONGOING EVENTS
PENNIES FOR POLAR BEARS
- Mad City Mardi Gras
What: Annual Fundraiser hosted by Liliana's Restaurant in Fitchburg
When: Sunday, March 30, 2014
Family Fun 10am-2pm and Mardi Gras Party 4-10pm
Where: Liliana's at 2951 Triverton Pike Drive, Fitchburg
- Monroe Street Chocolate Walk
What: Annual Fundraiser hosted by Monroe Street Merchants Association
When: Saturday, April 5, 2014
Where: Participating shops and restaurants between the 1500 and 3500 blocks of Monroe Street
Cost: $15 per bag good for one chocolate treat at all participating locations. Consider sharing a bag!
To Purchase: Tickets will be available soon at Orange Tree Imports
All 2014 proceeds from the Monroe Street Chocolate Walk will benefit Arctic Passage.
- Paddle for Polar Bears.
Standup Paddleboarding lessons by Paddleboard Specialists.
When: June 29 and July 27.
Where: Wingra Boats
Cost: $25 lesson includes board rental. (with 50% going to Arctic Passage)
For more information or to register, Click Here
Kids of all ages can help us Bring the Bears Back to Madison by gathering your pennies and more in a home-made bear bank.
- Use materials you find around home to decorate a plastic bottle to look like a Polar Bear, Grizzly Bear, Seal or other favorite Henry Vilas Zoo animal. The bottle is the bank, but you can decorate it with materials you find around the house - buttons for eyes, yarn for a tail, fleece or felt for a soft body, cardboard or extra bottle caps for feet. Let your imagination soar!
- Have a parent cut a hole in the top of the bottle so that can insert money that you collect or raise for the Zoo.
- Collect coins (bills are fine too!) from couch cushions, a lemonade stand, or by asking friends and family to help.
- Return your filled bank to the Zoo with your donation and a note that tells us who you are: name, parent's name, address, email and phone.
- Optional: Let us take your photo so that we can post a photo of you and your bank on the Zoo facebook page as a thank you and to inspire other kids to raise Pennies for Polar Bears.
- You'll receive a Certificate of Appreciation from Henry Vilas Zoo and Friends of the Zoo and be entered to win a special Zoo experience!
THE IMPACT OF FUNDRAISING
Henry Vilas Zoo has many different areas where fundraising is needed. These range from New Exhibit Development, Animal Welfare, Community Outreach, and Education. The Community Outreach Director will assist you in finding an appropriate area for the proceeds of your fundraising event. You can be assured that once you have chosen the designation of your funds, 100 percent of the proceeds will be utilized in that area.
With our assistance, volunteer fundraising can be exciting, rewarding and simple. Just read some of the success stories of others who have helped to raise funds for Henry Vilas Zoo.
Here are some examples of businesses and organizations that have helped us in the past. Continue to watch this page for testimonials about their experiences!
SUBMITTING FUNDRAISING PROPOSALS
- Paddle for Polar Bears - Paddleboard Specialists
- Mad City Mardi Gras - Liliana's Restaurant
- Percentage of Monthly Sales - Melting Pot Restaurant
- Employee Fundraising Challenge - Mounds Pet Food Warehouse.
- Birthday Party Cash Gift Collections - many Madison-area Children!
- School-wide "Befriend-an-Animal" Challenge - Van Hise Elementary School
- Monroe Street Chocolate Walk - Monroe Street Merchants
- Model Train Show - S Guage Wisconsin
- Steve Wetzel Photography Exhibit at Yola's Cafe & Madison Sourdough Co.
- Globe University Vet Tech Student "Zooraiser" and Movie Day
- Physicians Plus Donated $811 to the Zoo, $1 for each new Facebook Friend they added during the lead up to their January Polar Bear Dash.
- Johnson Creek Elementary School's Principal's Advisory Group raised over $2000 for the Animal Health Center through their student-led on-campus fundraising efforts.
- Shoe the Zoo - Fontana Sports
- 2014 Mad City Mad Hatters Volleyball Tournament
If you have a fundraising idea, please print, complete, and send the application at this link to the attention of the Community Outreach Director, Friends of the Zoo, 606 S. Randall Avenue, Madison, WI 53715 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don't hesitate to call our office - (608) 258-9490 - with questions or to set up a meeting to discuss your proposal prior to submission.
How We Can Help
- Provide planning assistance
- Assist with event promotion in the Friends of the Zoo newsletter, E-newsletter, and local media, and Social Media.